Whether you’re attending a live broadcast or a podcast, you’ll need a microphone to reach your audience. Although the two scenarios are different, you will need to use the right type of microphone for your event. Here we will help you learn more about the most used condenser microphone in the recording studio.
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick overview of condenser microphones:
- A condenser microphone is the type of microphone that It provides you with high sensitivity and fidelity level.
- There is a Diaphragm also called diaphragm which is placed near the metal back plate of the microphone.
- When the voice reaches a diaphragm, the difference between the pressure of the black plate and that of the diaphragm is recorded, which helps produce the sound.
However, you must read till the end to know all the facts related to condenser microphone.
What is a Condenser Microphone?
A condenser microphone is the type of microphone that offers high sensitivity and fidelity. These types of microphones are typically used in studio type environments. You will find these types of microphones when recording in the studio or you can use them in your home studio. It also gives you a higher frequency range compared to other types of microphones. Condenser microphones are typically used in studios because they pick up quiet sounds relative to louder sounds.
What is the diaphragm?
A diaphragm is a thin membrane which helps to output external sound from the microphone. It is that part of the microphone that sits in the microphone capsule that vibrates against the black microphone plate. He occupies the acoustic energy, converts it into electrical energy and then produces the final sound. To conduct electricity more efficiently, it is covered with a plating material which is usually gold.
How does a condenser microphone work?
- A condenser microphone has a membrane, also called diaphragm. The diaphragm is coated with gold to conduct electricity.
- The diaphragm is near the metal back plate. When sound reaches the diaphragm, it produces vibrations.
- The difference between the black plate and diaphragm pressure it’s recorded.
- what then translates and produces sound waves after boosting it. These sound waves are produced in the recording software.
How to use a condenser microphone on your laptop?
To use a condenser microphone on your laptop, you need to follow the given steps:
- install the necessary software on your laptop/computer. Consult instructions for best results.
- put on your mic near your computer. You will need to place it 4 to 16 inches apart. Avoid anything that might interfere with your recording.
- To make sure he is get the right sound you hit directly, you will need to set the microphone to (b)Cardio(/b).
- The next step is connect your headphones to the microphone. You will need to add the wire in sockets like (b)phones(/b).
- You will need to control the sound on your computer by setting up the built-in digital audio workstation (DAW).
- After that, you will need to change your computer configuration. Lower the master output level of the computer and move the microphone.
- Change the audio input halfway through the DAW. It will help you hear your voice.
- Adjust the headphones and make noise to check the settings. You can change its settings as needed.
What are the other 2 different types of microphones?
Since you already know what a condenser microphone is, let’s now look at some of the other commonly used microphones.
These are the pickups we usually see on various parties, shows, functions, etc. They are those suitable for loud voice. In it, the sound produced strikes the diaphragm of the microphone and generates electricity. This electricity then produces sound. It is made by the process where electricity is increased using a transformer and then sent to the output of the microphone creating the sound.
It is one of the microphones that is used to create sound using thin aluminum or electricity nanofilm produced within it. The electricity it contains is produced by a conductive ribbon placed between the poles of the magnet. This electricity is converted into sound using electromagnetic induction.
A condenser microphone is a microphone that helps pick up quiet sounds. These types of microphones are usually found in recording studios. You can record a higher frequency on it. They help you deliver more sensitive and accurate sound and recording. They take your internal sound signals and convert them into output sound by the vibrations produced in the diaphragm and back plate. You can also use it by setting it up with your computer or laptop.
How are condenser microphones different from dynamic microphones?
Dynamic microphones are a better option when you areand recording the live stream or are at concerts or live events. In short, these are used when recording loud music. On the other hand, a condenser microphone is used when you are recording in your home studio or recording studio. This means that it is generally used to record sound that is not too loud.
What are the different types of diaphragms?
The diaphragm is the part that helps convert sound energy into electrical energy. To convert it into electrical energy, the diaphragm is coated with a layer of gold. They are like the small speaker inside the microphone which helps produce the sound. There are two types of diaphragm: small and large. Small diaphragms are used for higher frequencies. Helps maintain a consistent polar pattern. Large diaphragms are those that do not maintain consistent polar patterns.